2023-2024 HCC Catalog & Student Handbook 
    May 20, 2024  
2023-2024 HCC Catalog & Student Handbook [ARCHIVED CATALOG]


General Admissions Criteria

A comprehensive community college system, HCC offers many programs designed to meet the needs of students according to their interests. As an open-admission, undergraduate institution, HCC has an “open door” admissions policy; individuals who have at least one of the following qualifications are welcome to enroll:

  • Accredited High School diploma; or
  • High School Equivalency certificate; or
  • College-level hours earned at other accredited colleges or universities; or
  • International students who meet college and state requirements; or
  • An eligible high school student.

Admission to HCC does not guarantee admission to a particular course or program. HCC utilizes the Texas Success Initiative (TSI) Assessment to assess the level of students’ reading, writing, and math skills. Based upon their assessment results and specific program objectives, students may be required to take developmental and/or prerequisite courses. If the TSI assessment exam is not available, students will be required to enroll in a co-requisite model with a paired college course and a developmental course to satisfy the TSI requirement. In addition, special admission requirements have been established for programs that require students to possess previously learned skills and knowledge. Applicants may obtain some additional admission criteria by visiting www.hccs.edu/applying-and-paying.

For further information regarding admissions to certain programs or special admissions, see below.

The applicable Board policies FB(LOCAL) and FB(LEGAL) can be found at: www.hccs.edu/about-hcc/policies/hcc-board-policy-manual-section-f

Corequisite Program

Consistent with state law, Houston Community College’s (HCC) corequisite program includes several college-level math-intensive course pairings and college-level reading-intensive and/or college-level writing-intensive course pairings for qualifying students. Corequisite support courses are delivered through the Developmental Math Department, Intensive English (ESOL) Department, and the Integrated Reading and Writing Department. Math-intensive corequisite course pairings align with the different math pathways (STEM and non-STEM) based upon degree or certification plans. Reading-intensive and/or writing-intensive course pairings are offered in English, History, Humanities, and Sociology.

Admissions Application

All students, except international students and continuing education students, must apply online using the Apply Texas website at goapplytexas.org. There is no charge to apply using the Apply Texas website. The process for international student applications is contained in the section titled International Services and Programs below. The process for continuing education student enrollment can be found on the HCC website at https://www.hccs.edu/continuing-education/.

Admissions Application Deadline

The admissions application deadline is one week before the class start date. Students should submit the application at least one week before the class start date. The application deadline calendar is available at www.hccs.edu/applying-and-paying/application-deadlines.

New Student Checklist

After submitting an admissions application, students will receive a welcome email from HCC with a link to the student portal. The student portal will include a checklist of items that must be completed as part of the enrollment and registration process. These include items a student must submit and also required trainings and background information on various topics.

Online College Admissions

HCC does not have a separate admission policy for the Online College. All admission policies described above apply to all students regardless of course delivery modality. 

Health Science Program Admissions

Admission to HCC does not guarantee admission to a specific program. The HCC Health Sciences Programs have special conditions for admissions, including the following possibilities: successful completion of prerequisite courses, acceptable scores on the Health Information Systems, Inc. (HESI) or other exams, submission of required immunizations, submission of other background information, submission of a personal narrative, and/or personal interview. Health Sciences students as a part of their program often participate in clinical rotations at local health care affiliates in order to gain practical knowledge and skills. Students must meet any requirements set by the clinical affiliate partner in order to participate in a rotation at that site. In order to best prepare students for success in their chosen fields, Health Sciences Programs have high standards for progression. Unlike other HCC programs, most health science programs require a C (75%) or better to progress to the next course in the program. The Nursing Program in particular requires a minimum grade of B (80%) or better in each RNSG course to progress to the next nursing course or level at HCC. Some of these programs also require that these grades be earned without rounding of grading points. For specific questions about grades, grading, and progression within Health Science programs, please contact Coleman College at healthscience.info@hccs.edu . While HCC does not require that its students be vaccinated against COVID-19 at the time of the publication of this Catalog and Student Handbook, many healthcare affiliate partners are requiring COVID-19 vaccinations for any student or employee working in their facility. For details on all Health Sciences admission and program requirements, please visit www.hccs.edu/centers/health-sciences.

Continuing Education Programs Admissions

All Continuing Education students must apply online using the HCC website at http://www.hccs.edu/apply.  There is no charge to apply using the HCC website. 

Some HCC Continuing Education Programs have special conditions for admissions, including the following possibilities: successful completion of prerequisite courses, acceptable scores on prerequisite exams, submission of any required immunizations, criminal background checks, and/or special licenses or certifications.

To review the list of programs and their associated prerequisites, please visit www.hccs.edu/continuing-education.

Veteran and Military-Affiliated Students Admissions

Veteran and/or Military-Affiliated Students who plan to use VA/GI Bill® and/or State of Texas “Hazlewood Act” educational benefits must follow the steps outlined in the applicable HCC enrollment checklist. Further information is available at Veteran & Military-Affiliated Student Success (VMASS) Resource Centers on campus, on the website at www.hccs.edu/support-services/veteran-affairs, or by phone at 713-718-8522.

Upon completion of the Admissions Application, Military, Veteran and/or Military-Affiliated students should contact an HCC Student Advisor to address questions regarding enrollment and/or gaining access to additional resources or information. Students may go to any advisor at any campus location. For information on how to contact a campus advisor, please see www.hccs.edu/support-services/advising. Academic Advising | Houston Community College - HCC (https://www.hccs.edu/support-services/academic-advising/).

“GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government Web site at https://www.benefits.va.gov/gibill.”

Registration of Sex Offenders

The Texas Code of Criminal Procedure Section 62.153 requires each person who has been convicted of specific sexual offenses and who intends to attend classes at an institution of higher education to register with the HCC Police Department. Registered Sex Offenders seeking to attend HCC are required to register with the HCC Police Department within ten days of enrolling in class, but not later than the seventh day after the date the person begins to attend school. FL(REGULATION), referenced below, explains in detail the process Registered Sex Offenders should follow, including the process for enrollment in their academic program.

Registered Sex Offenders must register with the HCCPD at the following location only:

Criminal Investigation Division of the HCC Police Department
3821 Caroline Street, Houston, Texas 77004
Monday-Friday: 8 a.m. - 4 p.m. (except during HCC closures or holidays)

More information can be found at https://www.hccs.edu/departments/police/crime-statistics–information/sex-offender-information/, in the Student Code of Conduct and applicable Board policies FL(LOCAL); FL(LEGAL); FL(REGULATION) available at www.hccs.edu/about-hcc/policies/hcc-board-policy-manual-section-f.


After Absence

Students who have not enrolled for three consecutive semesters must complete the re-admissions process. 

Re-Admission Process

As of June 21, 2021, HCC implemented a readmissions process for returning applicants, returning students and degree awarded students. Semester Credit Hour (SCH) students will now be required to complete a new application if they fall into one of the three categories below: 

  • Applicants who have applied and have never enrolled within the three terms in which they were activated will need to re-apply.  
  • Returning students who have not enrolled for three consecutive terms will need to re-apply. 
  • Degree awarded students who have not enrolled for three consecutive semesters will need to re-apply.  

Steps to reapply

  • Visit your HCC My Eagle Account 
    • Visit myeagle.hccs.edu; select Student Sign-in; and follow the instructions for a first-time user. 
  • Complete Re-Admissions Checklist Item
    • After you sign into your account, you will see My Checklists. You will be assigned a task on your To Do list with a link to the Apply Texas application and a unique verification code to enter on question 19 in the biographical section. This code will ensure you maintain the same id and all previous records will be reflected on your updated application. 
  • Connect with an academic advisor 
    •  Once your application is received and processed, you will receive a welcome letter with instructions to complete the other items on your checklist and to see an advisor to set up your new program plan.

After Suspension/Academic Withdrawal

Students seeking re-admission after being placed on enforced Academic Withdrawal or Suspension at HCC must attend a Student Learning Intervention Program (SLIP) session at the college they attend. Students may be required to enroll in specified courses and/or have their course load limited. Students may contact their campus counselor with questions about this process.

Academic Fresh Start

Under the provisions of the Texas Education Code Section 51.931, Texas residents seeking to apply for admission or re-admission to HCC and/or any specialized program at HCC may elect to have academic course credit more than ten years old prior to the starting date of the semester in which they seek to enroll not be considered as part of the admissions process. An applicant admitted to HCC under this provision may not receive any course credit for courses taken ten or more years prior to enrollment. This means courses excluded under this provision may not be counted toward a degree, GPA calculations, academic standing or to meet pre-requisite requirements. Applicants interested in the Academic Fresh Start Program must meet all HCC admissions requirements and must submit official transcripts from all previously attended colleges and universities along with a petition found at Admissions and Enrollment Forms| Houston Community College (https://www.hccs.edu/applying-and-paying/admissions-and-enrollment-forms/).  The notation will be entered on the student record after the student enrolls and attends the semester invoked in the petition. 

Admission for High School or Non-Credit Students

Certain HCC programs require additional or special admissions information. Those programs are described briefly below.

High School Student Admissions and Enrollment

Currently enrolled high school or homeschooled students may enroll in the same volume of HCC courses (each semester) as a traditional HCC student. Students should furnish a high school transcript, TSI scores (or documentation of exemption from TSI requirements), and approval from their high school. These students will need to maintain a “C” average to continue taking courses at HCC without limitations.

Dual Credit

To be eligible for any dual credit course, a student may be currently enrolled in a public-school district, charter, private school, or be a homeschool student with an established memorandum of understanding (MOU) with Houston Community College. All dual credit MOUs are posted at www.hccs.edu/programs/dual-credit/dual-credit-memorandums-of-understanding.

Dual Credit students must complete an HCC admission application and submit an official high school transcript indicating PLAN, PSAT, TAKS, STAAR SAT, and/or ACT test scores (or bring the official test score report if test scores do not appear on the high school transcript). Dual Credit students are also allowed to take the Texas Success Initiative (TSI) Assessment to qualify for college courses taught as dual credit. Academic Dual Credit Courses: To be eligible for academic dual credit courses, high school students must pass the applicable areas of a Texas Success Initiative. The student may be exempt from state mandated TSI testing if the student meets the qualifying standards on applicable areas of the SAT, ACT, PLAN, PSAT, or qualifying STAAR scores by subject. Students may take college level courses related to the area(s) of the test they pass. A student must also meet institutional course prerequisites. Dual Credit students must take only courses that apply directly to their pathway and degree plan.

Texas law does not impose limitations on the number of classes a dual credit student may take. However, Houston Community College recommends that students taking more than two classes per semester possess a 3.0 or higher-grade point average in high school coursework. Dual Credit students, like all college students, are responsible for purchasing required textbooks and other essential course materials. The exception is in cases where the high school provides textbooks. All Dual Credit instructional material is based on the recommendation of the academic or workforce department. The Houston Community College Board of Trustees has waived tuition and fees for dual credit students residing within the taxing district (In-District) of the College. Students outside (Out of District) taxing districts may take dual credit classes at a cost of $65.00 per course (which is subject to change). If taught in the high school, the dual credit class must be composed solely of dual credit and/or college credit students, not traditional high school students. The most up-to-date information on a given dual credit program cn be found in the MOUs for each respective program.

For Dual Credit courses, grading criteria allow faculty the opportunity to award high school and college credit based on the student’s performance. For further information, contact any HCC College P-16 Director at one of the college locations. Contact information is available at www.hccs.edu/programs/dual-credit/

Texas law limits the types of courses dual credit students may take. The options are to take academic core courses, career and technical education courses, or foreign language courses. Students enrolled in Early College High Schools are exempt from this legislation. Dual credit students must be placed on a degree plan when they enroll in the dual credit program.

Articulated Credit

HCC participates in the Advanced Technical Credit (ATC) program (commonly known as statewide articulation), which provides an educational and training structure that is sensitive to the transition of high school students to college. The process that facilitates an orderly progression through programs of instruction is commonly referred to as “articulation.” Articulation agreements have been developed between HCC and school districts within the service area. These articulation agreements allow students to successfully complete certain Career and Technical Education (CTE) courses in high school to receive college credits, contingent upon enrollment in a similar Career and Technical Education program at HCC. The high school course must be on the state-approved articulated list and taught by an instructor who meets the HCC credential standards as defined by SACSCOC. Students will only be awarded articulated credit if they received a letter grade of “B” or higher in the high school course while maintaining an overall high school GPA of at least a “C.”  Students also will be awarded credit only if the course is a requirement of their degree or certificate.

Any individuals interested in majoring in Workforce (CTE) programs who want to know if they qualify for articulated credit under an Advanced Technical Credit agreement should contact an HCC Dual Credit Success Coach, Advisor, or the appropriate program Department Chair. Students may apply for additional placement credit for no more than 25-percent of the degree hours. Credit for more than four courses in any one subject area requires special approval.

Early College High School Students (ECHS) and Pathways in Technology Early College High Schools (P-TECH) Students

Early College High Schools (ECHS) and Pathways in Technology Early College High Schools (P-TECH) provide students with a “seamless” pathway from high school to college. ECHS and P-TECH allow high school students to complete a two-year degree while working through a traditional high school degree plan. After tackling this rigorous course of study, students graduate high school while earning up to sixty college credits, most of which are transferable to the postsecondary institution of their choice. ECHS and P-TECH provides strong support to students and their family in obtaining entrance to, and success in, higher education. For a listing of ECHS, please visit www.tea.texas.gov/echs.  For a listing of P-TECH, please visit www.tea.texas.gov/PTECH.

Homeschool and Private/Charter School Students

Homeschooled students may attend Houston Community College as dual credit students. They must meet the same requirements as dual credit students enrolled in public or private high schools and follow the same process of admittance to Houston Community College. In addition, they must document their status as homeschooled students, along with all pertinent information required to register for classes at Houston Community College, including an MOU.

The Houston Community College P-16 Directors facilitate processes, consistency, standards, and procedures for homeschoolers who attend Houston Community College as dual credit students.

Private and charter school students may take dual credit courses at Houston Community College, on campus or online but must work through the administration of their high school. Private and charter schools who want dual credit as an option for their students must have established partnerships with Houston Community College through an MOU.

For more information including campus contacts, please visit the Dual Credit website at www.hccs.edu/dual-credit.

Special Admissions for Minor Students

There are times when it is appropriate for an underage student to attend college classes. Students who are interested in getting a jump-start on college while still attending high school may do so through our Special Admissions Process.


Special admissions allows underage students who are not already enrolled in a dual credit program and have not yet graduated from high school or completed an equivalent home school degree, to take steps toward their postsecondary goals. It’s important to note that special admissions classes do not replace the need for students to complete their high school diploma or equivalent.


Admission shall be considered only when the Special Admissions for Minor Students process has been completed. Acceptance of the Application for Admission does not guarantee enrollment into the specific class. Students are subject to all requirements including but not limited to TSI requirements, prerequisites, corequisites and other enrollment restrictions.


The purpose of the Special Admissions Process is to provide students and their families a safeguard to have a fair review process. If students or their families are not satisfied with the special admissions outcome, they may appeal the decision according to HCC’s Board Policy FLD (Local) by contacting the respective colleges’ Dean of Student Services.


For more information about Special Admissions and the requirements, please visit www.hccs.edu/specialadmissions. To understand the difference between Special Admissions for Minor Students and Dual Credit, please visit the Dual Credit webpage: www.hccs.edu/dualcredit.

Non-Degree Seeking

A non-degree seeking applicant is admitted on the basis that coursework will be taken for personal enrichment and not for the purpose of seeking a degree or certificate. Non-degree seeking students may not enroll in more than a total of twelve semester credit hours and are not eligible for state or federal financial aid.

Special Program Admissions

As described below, certain HCC programs are available to students meeting special criteria. Students seeking admission to special programs should identify the programs to which they want to apply and follow the directions on the corresponding website.

Upward Bound

The Upward Bound (UB) Program emerged as the first federal program from the Economic Opportunity Act of 1964. Two other programs joined by 1968 to form TRIO; those programs were Talent Search and Student Support Services. Today there are nine programs under the TRIO umbrella and seven of them provide services directly to students.

Upward Bound is a federal program sponsored by the U.S. Department of Education to provide fundamental support to participants in their preparation for college. UB provides opportunities to high school students from low-income families, from families in which neither parent holds a bachelor’s degree, and who show an academic need. The mission of UB is to assist high school students to complete secondary education and enroll in and graduate from institutions of postsecondary education. Upward Bound takes a holistic approach in preparing students academically, personally, and emotionally for the future. Upward Bound is a rigorous year-round college preparatory program that provides the following services:

  1. Academic classes in Math, English, Science, Computers, Foreign Language;
  2. Counseling, both academic and individual;
  3. Tutorials for all subjects;
  4. Cultural enrichment activities;
  5. Workshops;
  6. University tours;
  7. Six-week summer program;
  8. Work-study and internships; and
  9. Financial literacy for students and parents.

Houston Community College supports the mission and objectives of Upward Bound. HCC was an early supporter of TRIO programs and has hosted Upward Bound on its campuses since 1974 at Central Campus. In 1999, HCC applied and was granted a second Upward Bound program at Southeast Campus. Combined, HCC serves around 200 high school students as part of its Upward Bound family.

Upward Bound is a college preparatory program hosted at HCC and recruits from Houston Independent School District (HISD) at these high schools: Sam Houston, Yates, Austin, and Northside. Each interested student will complete an application, and an interview will be conducted with the parent and the student. Students will need to submit documents with the application to support their eligibility. Eligibility and acceptance are based on the documentation provided. Students must meet the following criteria: 1) Low Income; 2) First Generation in college; 3) Academic Need; 4) U.S Citizen, Permanent Resident. All students must be between the ages 13-19, attend or are zoned in one of the high schools mentioned above, and have finished the eighth grade before joining the program.

For more information, visit www.hccs.edu/support-services/upward-bound.

VAST Academy (Vocational Advancement and Skills Training)

The VAST Academy provides post-secondary transition programs and comprehensive support services which lead to meaningful credentials, employment and independence for individuals with intellectual and developmental disabilities at three college campus locations: Central, Northwest/Spring-Branch and Southwest/Stafford. Opportunities include workforce certificates, precollege and freshman success bridge courses, career readiness credentials, internships, and employment assistance offered through an inclusive, relevant, affordable, and supportive environment. VAST Academy offers a Career Readiness/Occupational Skills Certificate under HCC’s Division of Extended Learning, Continuing Education. The program’s successful supportive strategies include person-centered planning, peer mentoring, independent living, and internships based on students’ interests and skills.

HCC’s VAST Academy has a formal admissions process. For information on admissions criteria, requirements and steps to apply please, visit the website at www.hccs.edu/vast.

Honors College

The HCC Honors College is located at five campuses: Central, Northeast/Northline, Northwest/Spring Branch, Southeast/Eastside and Southwest/Stafford. It offers high achieving students the opportunity for enriched instruction, leadership development, and the opportunity for study/travel abroad. The program is designed for full-time students beginning their college experience or with limited HCC credit hours (under fifteen). Students study together in cohorts for their core curriculum classes. Qualified students can receive scholarships and textbook assistance. To be eligible, students must have a 3.5 high school GPA or 3.5 HCC GPA, and college-ready scores on TAKS, SAT, ACT, or TSI. The Honors College application must be completed separately from the HCC application and all students are interviewed before acceptance. The application deadline for prior admissions is March 1, and for regular admissions on May 1 (or until the freshman class fills). The Honors College will continue to accept applications past the May 1 deadline until all slots are filled and thereafter, only as alternates on a waiting list. To access the application, go to the Applications/Deadlines section of www.hccs.edu/programs/honors-college. For more information, contact the Honors College Executive Director at 713-718-5203.

The Weekend College at HCC: Saturdays Only

Designed for working adults who want a degree, the Weekend College offers the opportunity to receive an Associate’s degree in two years by attending school only on Saturdays.

The Weekend College offers classes in 8-week sessions in a hybrid format.  By taking only two classes at a time, the student can focus more clearly on the subjects they are studying.  The student will study with a cohort of students in a face-to-face environment, then complete the remaining half of their class work online.  The student will take four classes each semester (two courses each eight-week session) which makes the student eligible for financial aid as a full-time student.  Classes meet from 9-12 noon and 1-4 pm with an hour break for lunch.

The student’s entire schedule is mapped out for the two years of study.  From the beginning, the student will see the guided pathway and exactly when each course is offered in the program.  In addition, HCC offers support in admissions, registration, academic advising, and applications for financial aid. Free tutoring will be available on-campus or online.

The Weekend College started with degrees in Business (AA and AAS), core curriculum courses, and a Level One Certificate in Business Management.  More degree pathways are under consideration for expansion and growth.  Please consult the HCC Website for more detailed information, contacts, degree plans, and Information Sessions:  https://www.hccs.edu/programs/weekend-college

Adult Education Program

Additionally, HCC offers Adult Education programs described below and at https://www.hccs.edu/programs/adult-education/.

Adult Education & Literacy Programs

Adult Education courses are grant-supported through the support of the Texas Workforce Commission and Houston Galveston Area Council (HGAC). Adult Education students can choose from the following six programs below:

  • HSE (High School Equivalency Student): Students seeking a certificate of High School Equivalency (GED, Hi-SET, TASC). A student who wants to prepare to take one of the three Texas-approved high school equivalency exams. These exams include the GED (General Educational Development), the TASC (Test Assessing Secondary Completion), or the Hi-SET (High School Equivalency Test). Upon successful completion of all parts of one of these three accepted exams, the student will receive the certificate of high school equivalency issued by the Texas Education Agency. 
  • ESL (English for Speakers of Other Languages):This is for learners who want to achieve competency in comprehending, speaking, reading, and writing English, and whose first language is not English. A learner who wants to achieve competence in comprehending, speaking, reading, and writing English. ESL students can continue to study for their High School Equivalency and/or transition to postsecondary education and training or employment.
  • ESLP (English for Professionals): This program is for Students wanting to speak, read, and write English, and whose first language is not English and has a degree from a country outside the United States.
  • ELCivics (English Literacy and Civics): This program is for students who are interested in obtaining their citizenship and wanting to speak, read, and write English, whose first language is not English. Additionally, this connects literacy to the lives of learners and reflects their experiences as community members, parents and participants in the workforce.
  • TSI Prep Boot Camp:   ATSI1000 is an intensive Four-Week non-credit Reading, Writing, and Mathematics program that will help you understand the various objectives that will be tested on the Texas Success Initiative (TSI) Assessment and how to successfully answer the questions.
  • Career4U Academy: Career4U Academy is a collaborative effort by HCC and a number of high-profile nonprofit organizations to assist underemployed or unemployed individuals. All  Career4U Academy training integrates career training with Adult Education classes. Financial aid is regularly available. All Career4U Academy programs also can be configured to accommodate students whose second language is English. To find out more, https://www.hccs.edu/changeyourlife, or call 713-718-5381, or visit www.hccs.edu/career4u.

    IET/EL Civics offerings provide advanced English Language Learners with tuition assistance for concurrently enrolling in ESOL courses that are integrated with Level One Certificate career programs.

Ability to Benefit Programs

The Adult Education & Literacy office has arrangements that will allow students who do not have a high school diploma or Certificate of High School Equivalency (TxCHSE) certificate to enroll at HCC and receive federal student aid including Pell Grants. Students need to demonstrate that they have the “ability to benefit” from postsecondary education and training and can meet certain additional requirements. More information is available at www.hccs.edu/programs/adult-education/ability-to-benefit-pell-grant-option.

Adult High School

Adult High School (AHS) is a credit recovery and /or credit program for students seeking credit recovery and/or original credit toward their high school graduation requirements (students recovering/completing credit receive a high school diploma). Current high school students will need a referral from their high school counselor before registering for any AHS class. For more information, including AHS locations and courses, call
713-718-7611 or visit www.hccs.edu/programs/adult-education/adult-high-school.

Establishing Residency

HCC is required by Texas law to determine the residency status of all students for tuition purposes. Students who have not enrolled for two or more consecutive regular semesters (fall and spring) must complete the residency core questions and satisfy all applicable requirements to establish residency. Additional documentation may be requested at any time following registration. Residency is determined at the time of registration, either by a student’s current address or by the address of a parent or legal guardian if the student is being claimed by his/her/their parents or is eligible to be claimed by his/her/their parents as a dependent for federal income tax purposes. A post office box can be used for a mailing address but cannot be used to establish residency. It is the responsibility of the student to register under the correct residency classification. A complete set of rules and regulations for determining residency is available at each campus’s Enrollment Services Office.

For tuition purposes, a student will be classified according to the following guidelines. The Registrar is the final authority on all questions of residency. For more information on residency or to see the list of approved documentation, visit www.hccs.edu/applying-and-paying/residency-information.

Basic Residency Requirements

For tuition purposes, according to Texas law, all students must answer a complete set of core residency questions within the admissions application. These questions will be used by the institution to determine if the person is a resident. The following persons shall be classified as Texas Residents and entitled to pay resident tuition at all institutions of higher education:

  • A person who was enrolled at a Texas public institution during a fall or spring semester within the previous twelve months and was classified as a Texas resident for tuition purposes.
  • A person who graduated from a public or accredited private high school in this state or as an alternative to high school graduation, received the equivalent of a high school diploma in this state AND maintained a residence continuously in this state for the 36 months immediately preceding the date of graduation, or received the diploma equivalent as applicable and the twelve months preceding the census date of the academic semester in which the person enrolled.
  • A person or a dependent whose parent established a domicile in this state not less than twelve months before the census date of the academic semester in which the student enrolled in an institution AND maintained a residence continuously in the state for the twelve months immediately preceding the census date of the academic semester in which the person enrolled in an institution.
  • If basing residency on a spouse and have been married at least twelve months, residency may be classified based on the spouse’s qualifications for residency.

In-District Residency

Students who have met the basic Texas residency requirements and live in HCC’s taxing district (Alief ISD, Houston ISD, Stafford MSD, and part of Missouri City) are considered in-district residents.

Students must reside at a street address in HCC’s taxing district to be considered in-district. Post office boxes and dormitory addresses cannot be used.

Out-of-District Residency

Students who have met the basic Texas residency requirements and live outside HCC’s taxing district are considered out-of-district residents.

Out-of-State Residency

A student who has not resided in Texas for twelve months immediately preceding registration is considered out-of-state, except for certain exceptions described below. A non-resident student classification is presumed to be correct as long as the residence in the state is primarily used for the purpose of attending school. To be reclassified as a resident (after one or more years of residency), the student must show proof of intent to establish Texas as his/her/their permanent legal residence.

See Veterans Services for information regarding residency determinations of Veterans and Military-Affiliated Students.

International Student Residency for Tuition Purposes

An international student is a non-U.S. citizen who is not classified a resident alien by the U.S. Government.

International students living in the United States under an eligible visa permitting residence must provide documentation and meet the same requirements as a U.S. citizen to qualify for Texas resident status for tuition purposes.

Undocumented Students

Texas Law states that undocumented students can be admitted to the College and be considered a resident of Texas for tuition purposes if the undocumented student resided in Texas, and met the conditions listed below:

  • Graduated or will graduate from a Texas public or private high school or received the equivalent of a high school diploma in Texas; and
  • Resided in Texas for 36 months leading up to graduation from high school or receiving the equivalent of a high school diploma; or
  • Has resided or will have resided in Texas for the twelve months prior to the census date of the semester in which the student will enroll in the college; and
  • Has signed the Affidavit of Intent to Become a Permanent Resident provided by the College that states the student has filed or will file an application to become a permanent resident at the earliest opportunity the student is eligible to do so.

If the student does not meet these criteria, the student may still enroll, but will be classified as out-of-state for tuition purposes.

Change of Residency

The change from out-of-district residency to in-district residency must be made at the time of registration. Any address change which results in a change to in-district status must be accompanied by adequate documentation. Changes to in-district status made after registration will be effective the following semester. A student who qualifies for a change from out-of-state to in-state residency status for tuition purposes may file a petition for change of residency. The form can be found online under the Admissions and Enrollment Forms webpage at (https://www.hccs.edu/applying-and-paying/admissions-and-enrollment-forms/) or submitted to the Enrollment Services Office at any college. The petition must be filed with the Office of the Registrar or Enrollment Services Office at any of the Colleges before the 12th day of class for the regular (16-week) term in order to receive any refund of excess tuition paid for that term.


Any student who provides false information or withholds information for proper determination of residency, admission, or enrollment is subject to any or all of the following penalties:

  • Withdrawal from all classes with no refund
  • Dismissal from the institution or other appropriate disciplinary action
  • Payment of the difference in fees within thirty days
  • Loss of credit earned while under incorrect residency status

These determinations will be made by the processes described in the Student Code of Conduct. See Student Code of Conduct or Board Policy FLB(LOCAL) at www.hccs.edu/about-hcc/policies/hcc-board-policy-manual-section-f for more information. In the case of certain types of fraud, students may be subject to additional state, federal, or criminal penalties.

Additional Information for Non-U.S. Citizen Students

A non-U.S. citizen who is living in the United States under permanent resident status, has an appropriate visa, or who has filed an I-485 application for permanent residency and has been issued a notice of action from U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Service (USCIS) showing that the I-485 has been approved, has the same privilege of qualifying for resident status, for tuition purposes, as a U.S. citizen. Anyone permitted by Congress to adopt the United States as their domicile while living in this country is afforded the same privilege as citizens and permanent residents to establish Texas residency for tuition purposes.

Transfer Information and Credit

Transfer Policy

HCC analyzes credit accepted for transfer in terms of level, content, quality, comparability, and degree program relevance.  Any questions about transfer credit not answered can be directed to the virtual lobby or found online at www.hccs.edu/support-services/transfers/transferring-credits. Transfer of credit from one institution to another involves at least three considerations:

  • The educational quality of the learning experience which the student transfers;
  • The comparability of the nature, content, and level of the learning experience to that offered by the receiving institution; and 
  • The appropriateness and applicability of the learning experience to the programs offered by the receiving institution, in light of the student’s educational goals.

Texas Common Course Numbering System

The Texas Common Course Numbering System (TCCNS) was developed in part to assist students in identifying which courses at one college will meet specific course requirements at another college. In other words, the common course numbering system promotes the successful transfer of course work among colleges and universities in Texas, making the transfer process easy for students. The TCCNS ensures that if a student takes courses which the receiving institution has designated as common, then the courses will be accepted in transfer, and the credit will be treated as if the courses had actually been taken on the receiving institution’s campus.

The common course number has a standardized four-letter prefix followed by a four-digit number-example, ENGL 1301. The four-letter prefix identifies the subject area. Each digit in the four-digit sequence gives additional information about the course. The first digit identifies the course as either freshman level (1) or sophomore level (2). The second digit identifies the number of credit hours a student will earn upon completion of the course. Most often this digit will be a 1, 2, 3 or 4. The final two digits serve to establish the sequence in which courses are generally taken.

Most Texas public community colleges utilize the Texas Common Course Numbering System. That is, a common course will have the same course number at any institution using the TCCNS. For example, English Composition I will be numbered ENGL 1301 at all common numbering schools. Some universities do not directly use the common numbers for their courses directly but do recognize and subscribe to the Texas Common Course Numbering System. In the course description sections of many catalogs, the common course number is shown in brackets-example, [ENGL1301].

NOTE: Common course transfer assumes that the grade achieved in the course meets an institution’s minimum grade requirement for transfer. For example, many institutions will not transfer a D grade, even if the course is designated as a common course.

To view a listing of all the common courses taught at HCC by both the common and local course number, please visit www.tccns.org/ and select “Houston Community College System” under “Search by School.”

Accreditations Accepted in Transfer

HCC accepts college level credit in transfer from colleges and universities accredited by any of the six regional accreditation bodies: Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools, New England Association of Colleges and Schools, North Central Association of Colleges and Schools, Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities, Southern Association of Colleges and Schools, and the Western Association of Colleges and Schools.

In addition, HCC accepts college level credit in transfer from colleges and universities by any of the following national accreditation bodies: American Board of Funeral Service Education, Association for Biblical Higher Education, Accrediting Bureau of Health Education Schools, Association of Advanced Rabbinical and Talmudic Schools Accreditation, Accreditation Commission for Acupuncture and Oriental Medicine, Accrediting Commission for Career Schools and Colleges, Accrediting Council for Continuing Education & Training, Accrediting Council for Independent Colleges and Schools (accepted if prior to spring 2017 and after fall 2018), Commission of Accrediting of the Association of Theological Schools, Council on Occupational Education, Distance Education Accrediting Commission (formerly DETC), Distance Education and Training Council, Higher Learning Commission, Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools, Commission on Higher Education (MSA/CHE), National Association of Schools of Theatre, North Central Association of Colleges and Schools, The Higher Learning Commission (NCA), New England Association of Schools and Colleges, Commission on Institutions of Higher Education (NEASC-CIHE), New England Association of Schools and Colleges, Commission on Technical and Career Institutions (NEASC-CTCI), Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities (NWCCU), Southern Association of Colleges and Schools, Commission on Colleges (SACS), Transnational Association of Christian Colleges and Schools. Western Association of Schools and Colleges, Accrediting Commission for Community and Junior Colleges (WASC-ACCJC). Western Association of Schools and Colleges, Accrediting Commission for Senior Colleges and Universities (WASC-ACSCU)

Students Transferring to HCC from Other Colleges/Universities

Transfer students are students who have previous college work and plan to pursue a certificate or degree at HCC. HCC evaluates, accepts, and awards credit for transfer course work, experiential learning, advanced placement, and professional certificates that is consistent with the HCC mission and for which HCC can ensure that the course work and learning outcomes are at the collegiate level and comparable to HCC certificate and degree programs. Transfer students are required to send official transcripts from each previously attended college or university. Transfer work is evaluated within the first semester of attendance. 

Prior Learning Assessment Credit

Prior Learning Assessment (PLA) is a process for assessing learning gained outside a traditional academic environment. This could be learning acquired through military service, work experience, employer training programs, independent study, non-credit courses, open courseware, volunteer, or community service. Prior Learning Assessment (PLA) is a means of evaluating what a student already knows at the college-level derived from these experiences for college credit, certification, or advanced standing toward further education or training.  See the PLA website for more information www.hccs.edu/resources-for/current-students/prior-learning-assessment.

To be eligible to earn PLA credit, a student must meet all Houston Community College admissions requirements. This includes having a term-activated semester credit account. PLA credit is awarded only when it applies to an HCC program of study. The student should not have previously taken or attempted the course (by title) that is the same as the PLA credit for which they are applying.  PLA credit cannot be applied to any Cooperative Education/Internship Program or Capstone course.   

To commence the PLA process, students must first speak with their Pathway and Case Management Advisor. If it is determined that they are eligible for PLA, the student will begin the PLA process.

NOTE: A minimum of 25 percent of the credits for the HCC certificate or degree must be completed at HCC (in fulfillment of the residency requirement). Please note that credit earned by Advanced Placement (AP) exams do not count toward the residency requirement.

Credit by Examination

HCC awards credit for qualified scores on nationally standardized examinations for the following instruments: College Board Advanced Placement (AP) Examinations, the College Level Examination Program (CLEP), International Baccalaureate (IB) exams, and the Defense Activity for Non-Traditional Education Support (DANTES) subject exams, Sophia Learning exams (with ACE evaluation), Learning Counts exams (with ACE evaluation), Assessment and Learning in Knowledge Spaces (ALEKS with ACE evaluation) and Straighter Line (with ACE evaluation).  Official test scores must be sent from the testing agency to the HCC Office of Admissions and Records. Contact the Testing Office for examination schedules and availability of the CLEP. Questions regarding credit received for the above national exams should be directed to the Advising Office.

More information is available at www.hccs.edu/support-services/transfers/transferring-credits.

Students Transferring from HCC to Other Colleges/Universities

HCC recommends the following steps to students considering transferring to other colleges/universities:

  • Meet with a HCC advisor at a student’s community college campus to discuss academic goals, plans, and questions. For instance, the student should consider completing an associate degree before transferring. Some universities give preferential treatment in admission decisions if a student transfers after completing an associate degree. Research indicates that students who have completed the associate degree perform better after transfer than those who did not complete the associate degree.  
  • If a student needs to transfer to another institution before the completion of an HCC associate degree, the student may be able to “reverse transfer” to HCC college credits from another institution in order to fulfill associate degree requirements. In most cases, a student can “reverse transfer” up to 42 college-level semester hours of credit within three years of leaving HCC to complete associate degree requirements. (Note: all graduation requirements must be fulfilled. See HCC catalog at www.hccs.edu/programs/catalog for more information.) 
  • HCC also recommends that students obtain a transfer plan from their HCC advisor. A transfer plan lists the university-required courses which can be taken at HCC toward a student’s university bachelor’s degree’s major. If students are undecided about their choice of university or their choice of major, see an HCC career counselor for more help. To locate a counselor, go to www.hccs.edu/support-services/counseling/counselors-hcc.

For more information, see the “If You are Transferring from HCC” section of

For a list of universities in which HCC has established articulation agreements, visit www.hccs.edu/support-services/transfers/agreements.

Transfer Dispute Resolution

If a student is informed by a Texas public college or university that it will not accept the transfer of any HCC academic course credit, the student may have a case for a transfer dispute which will ultimately be resolved by the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board (THECB). Students should be cautioned that workforce course credits may or may not be transferable, depending upon the program and articulation agreements between HCC and the college or university involved.

Institutions of higher education, however, may choose to accept additional credit hours by agreement. If the student wishes to transfer credit later to work on a bachelor’s degree, the student should consult with an HCC program or advisor. Rules and procedures for the resolution of transfer disputes regarding lower-division courses have been formulated by the THECB as follows:

If an institution of higher education refuses to accept course credit earned by a student at another institution of higher education, the receiving institution shall provide written notice to the student and to the sending institution that transfer of course credit has been denied, along with the reasons for denial. Students may dispute the denial of transfer credit by contacting a designated official at either the sending or receiving institution.

The two institutions and the student shall attempt to resolve the dispute in accordance with THECB rules and guidelines.

If the transfer dispute is not resolved to the satisfaction of the student or the sending institution within 45 days of the date the student received written notice of denial, the institution denying the course credit transfer shall notify the Commissioner of Higher Education of the unresolved dispute and the reasons for the continued denial of course credit transfer.

The Commissioner or a designee shall make the final determination in an unresolved dispute concerning the transfer of course credit and provide written notice of the determination to the involved student and institutions www.hccs.edu/support-services/academic-advising/.

Transfer Limitation

Students who intend to transfer to baccalaureate degree programs should be aware of possible limitations on lower division course work. Most universities will generally not accept in transfer more than sixty-six semester credit hours of lower division academic credit; however, institutions may choose to accept additional hours by agreement. Students with questions should contact their academic advisor.